POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Atmospheric Media settings (Reply to Gail Shaw) : Re: Atmospheric Media settings (Reply to Gail Shaw) Server Time
4 Oct 2024 01:14:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Atmospheric Media settings (Reply to Gail Shaw)
From: Stephen Lavedas
Date: 29 Apr 1999 15:56:15
Message: <3728AB5F.41ECE553@virginia.edu>
Well, I couldn't stay away from the image, so I decided to try using a
density pattern to get the feel of floating dust....well,  I wasn't
entirely successful, and the cost for this experiment was around 10
hours of reduced system performance.  (Lessons from this being "Density
takes a LOT longer") But I've shrunk the image to 800x600 and decided to
post it.  I have a few ideas on how to make it look better (make the
falloff greater to increase the fade near the edges) increase both the
verticle and horizontal scaling of the granite pattern I used (or use a
density map) Also I think better textures, more complete crates would
really add to this image (ie making the crates out of slats rather than
boxes).  Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Stephen Lavedas wrote:

> Actually, I changed the scatter values to around .15 which gave an image
> much more like the original (except that I tinted the light brownish) to
> try and give a more dusty feeling...it looked better with white light,
> but this light looks more like "sunlight")  Anyhow, the image is
> 1152x864 so I'm not posting it, but rest assured that my results are
> much more in line with my original.
>
> Steve
>
> Gail Shaw wrote:
> >
> > Stephen Lavedas wrote in message <37272432.365315FB@virginia.edu>...
> > > As requested, here are my atmospheric media settings...  Ken I am
> > >posting this in here because it is only a snippit of code and I believe
> > >it belongs here as a reply to Gail's request.
> > > As a side note, I upped the intervals and samples because when two or
> > >more spotlight beams overlapped there was grainyness which isn't
> > >entirely gone, but is diminished.  Also, extinction is a good value to
> > >play with.
> > >

> > Thanks very much.
> >
> > I'll see how this turns out.
> >
> > Gail
> > * gsh### [at] monotixcoza              * ERROR: COFFEE.COM not found  *
> > * http://www.rucus.ru.ac.za/~gail/ * Insert cup and press any key *
> >    My Software never has bugs, It just develops random features

Attachments:
Download 'darklight.jpg' (81 KB)

Preview of image 'darklight.jpg'
darklight.jpg